Given below is a typical agreement which you can sign with your ghostwriter.
CO-WRITER/GHOSTWRITER-AUTHOR AGREEMENT OVER A BOOK
By this memorandum of understanding, signed this _____________ 2008; both the parties described herein under as PARTY A, represented by ______________, address, _____________________________________ also described as the ‘author’; and PARTY B, represented by ___________, address ____________________________________________________________________________________, also described as ‘ghostwriter’, do hereby agree to all the terms described and given below:
- Party A is commissioning Party B to begin the project of writing a book on the subject: _______________________________________________________.
- The tentative working title of the book shall be _______________________________________________________’. This title is subject to change subject to mutual consent of both the parties.
- The deadline for completion of this book is _______ days after the signing of this agreement.
- Party A agrees to pay Party B a consolidated sum of $_________ for the project that will include the following:
- Writing the content of the book on the guidelines of Party A.
- Getting it edited by a pro-editor before submission.
- The fees of the co-writer/ghostwriter will be paid as follows:
- 50% advance to get the project started.
- 50% within 10 days of complete work submission (irrespective of whether Party A found time to go through it in 10 days or not).
- Party B (ghostwriter) is subject to NO royalty or commission on the sales of the book. He is only entitled to the one time fees of $_________.
- Party B (ghostwriter) will maintain full confidentiality about this project.
- The book will be __________ pages long.
- Party B agrees that he will not take the help of any plagiarism, meaning he will avoid using borrowed material in this book exactly as they are found elsewhere.
- Party A will own all copyrights for this book, including sale and distribution rights.
- Party A will have full freedom to set the retail price of this book, deal with any publisher, and may even distribute it free of cost if she wishes. Party B will have no say on setting the price of this book.
- Party A can request party B to make a reasonable number of changes and edits during the period of production of this book and within 7 days of completion of the book.
Both the parties do hereby agree to the terms laid and set above.
Party A (author)
Party B (ghostwriter)